Monday is the first day of the 14-Day Challenge! Made my weekly trip to the grocery store to pick up some goods so that tomorrow (after the whole Easter celebration) I can prep my meals for the week. If you’re wondering what’s on my menu, I will kinda break it down for you. Most of my meals get repetitive especially when I’m doin’ challenges like these, only because it saves me time and money. Especially since the hubs is on a high calorie diet (meaning the dude can and will eat whatever he wants). So I’m basically cooking for one.
I apologize in advance if you think this blog post is a bit wordy and long. But I just wanna give you an idea of what I’m doin’ on my end for this 2 week challenge. Let me start with my workouts. I have planned my workouts in advance and will be posting them up the day before I actually do them. If you want to do the same workouts I do, that’s totally cool. Just make sure you workout at your own pace and make sure you listen to your body. It’s always good to challenge yourself, but safety first! Don’t do too much or lift too heavy if your body can’t handle it. My goal is to build muscle and tone up. So I’ll be incorporating a lot of weights into my workouts. If you’re trying to slim down, try to lessen the amount of rest in between sets to keep your heart rate up. You burn more calories this way. Some of you may be a bit more advanced than I am (I’m still an amateur) and if you want to lift heavier, go for it! If you are just starting out, don’t over do it. OR, if you want to do your own workout(s), that’s totally fine, too!
Okay, so here’s an idea of what I’ll be doing Monday night in the gym:
On the treadmill:
- 5 min warm up
- HIIT cardio : 1 min sprint @ 9.0-10.0 2 min brisk walk @ 4.0. Repeat 8 times. Total of 24 min.
- 5 min cooldown
On the machines:
- squats 140#-160# – 10 reps 4x
- split squats (or static lunges) 50#-60# – 10 reps each leg 4x
- leg extensions 80#-95# – 10 reps 4x
- hip abductor (outer thighs) 175#-#190# – 10 reps 4x (start 1st rep at 175# and increase 5# each set after) – do this while sitting up at the edge of the seat and not leaning back on the back rest. It allows you to hit heavier weights.
- hip abductor (inner thights) 130#-145# – 10 reps 4x (this one you can sit back, increasing weight by 5# each set)
- hamstring curls 50# 10 reps 4x
- leg press 2-45# plates + 1-25# plate on each side – 10 reps 4x
Finish workout with 100 decline sit-ups and 100 push-ups (4 sets of 25)
If you don’t have a gym membership or workout equipment at home, you can do this…
30 min walk/jog – very easy to do. walk/jog 15 min away from your house and then walk/jog back to your house 15 min.
Then do these workout routines by Tone It Up:
And end with abs!!!
If you feel like you can do more or if you want to do more, then do all 3 workouts. Again, it’s totally up to you. If you’d like, you can even do the cardio portion earlier in the day and then the strength training part later on in the day. And just so you know, I will be doing abs at the end of my workouts every day.
Example Menu of my meals
- Meal 1: double fiber whole wheat English muffin (toasted) with natural peanut butter and banana slices
- Meal 2: Clif Bar and H20
- Meal 3: homemade turkey chili with spinach (and maybe a cup of coffee)
- Meal 4: 4 hard boiled eggs (2 w/the yolk, 2 without) doused with tobasco sauce
- Meal 5: (post workout) protein shake
- Meal 6: grilled chicken and lots of lots of green veggies
There ya go. This is just an example of the kind of stuff I eat on the daily. I’ll probably be changing up Meals 4 & 6 during this week, but will stay like this for the most part. Meal 4 may sound weird to you, but I’ve actually been craving it lately. Sometimes I’ll have raw almonds or maybe I’ll have some celery sticks with natural peanut butter. But hard-boiled eggs works fine, too. 😛
Anyway, guys… just have fun with it. I hope I’ve inspired you enough to want to do this with me… it is a lot of hard work. But it’s also soooo very rewarding at the end of the day. Trust me.